Many men and women who are divorced or single in their 40's are terrified of re-joining mature dating scene.
My newly single friend Alison who's 40 says “"I can't go on a date. I'm 40!”, “I'll be single for ever”, this is what most newly single men and women think about re-entering a dating scene. As they have spent most of their lives in a marriage, they are afraid to speak with strangers, to have a casual flirt, they don't know how to start a conversation, or what to answer if someone will ask them something. These people are often lonely because most of their friends are married couples who have no idea what it is like to be divorced or be single at 40.
So I called my friend a psychologist and relationship counselor, who works with people over the age of 35-45 to help them to become confident and to find their place in the dating world.
Here is what she thinks about "I can't go on a date. I'm 40!" syndrome :
"Nonsense! 40 is the perfect age to start or re-enter a dating world.
I know many happy couples who have met each other in their 40 + and they say that they have never been happier than now even in their 20's.
The fact is there is no “Too old age” to date, to love, to feel passion, people who think like this are wrong, they just don't want to be happy and feel the joy of life.
For those of you who want to start a new relationship, to find a date I have a few simple advice:
- Believe in Love!
- Don't afraid to meet other people. Make an effort to overcome the fear and you'll see how many nice and friendly people there are.
- Open yourself to the world. Don't wear desperation sign on your forehead, go out, talk to people, join community where you can meet other people of your age.
- Be confident in yourself. It might sound funny but it really helps, look in the mirror and practice a few pick-up lines so that you feel more confident when talking to someone.
- Be friendly and smile. People who have positive outlook attract other like-minded people. Try to smile every time you are around other people, make jokes.
- Stay positive no matter what. Every one has a soulmate it's only a matter of time to meet your perfect match."
"Better to have loved and lost, than not to have loved at all."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
"We cease loving ourselves if no one loves us."
Germaine de Stael
"Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life."
Love and be loved at any age!
First post on hubpages: http://amandajon.hubpages.com/hub/Overcoming-Im-too-old-to-date-syndrome